Thursday, February 16, 2012

Long Overdue

Friends, Family, Followers of Christ --

Time goes by much faster than I would like it to. Before you can blink, you've experienced the excitement of classes, learning Czechholidays, Czech traditions, a new year, stress, struggle, growth, resolutions, new ideas, old thought patterns, sin, the Gospel, students, relapse, snow, buying groceries, visitors, fellowship, irony, monotony, loneliness, weird missionaries, kind Czechs, the frustration of a lack of discipline, broken resolutions, back rubs, being too hard on yourself, attempting to read Kierkegaard, relationships (or lack thereof), church, disillusionment, works righteousness, Christian bubbles, coffee dates, conversion rate drop, (avoiding) Ikea, loans, impatience, bad humor, black humor, czech films, another project, another class lesson, playing saxophone in pit band for the musical "Bye-Bye Birdie", crafts, chapel, roommates, paying rent, paying internet, sledding in Riegrovy Sady.

Being part of a beautiful, messed-up world.

At the school, we kicked-off a new semester a few weeks ago. For me, a new semester hasn't meant too many changes all at once, but definitely a few coming up. Right now, I'm teaching wisdom literature to my 6th graders, Luke to my 7th graders, and romanticism poetry to my sophomore English class. So I've been learning quite a bit about many different things, reconnecting with my love for literature, and finding an appreciation for poetry that I didn't know I had. I may pick up the responsibilities of teaching another English class, tutoring after school, a Czech class twice a week, and assistant school chaplain. But I'm praying about all these things at the moment.

Love for the finer things in life requires some discipline.

I admit that I have and still do struggle with perfectionism.  I am too hard on myself for not getting things done. Paradoxically, I can be lazy and give myself too much lenience when I don't do certain things. Those of you who understand can empathize. Those of you who do not experience the world this way, you can call me crazy.

I do love teaching. It really is wonderful to be learning to teach at a Christian school. I recently talked with a friend here about teaching at an international school for missionary kids, and she reminded me of the importance of the work that is done here. Discipleship is important. So important. It is a day-in-and-day-out witness of being a Christian to kids who live on the most atheistic continent on the planet. Right now the school is working on its accreditation with the Czech Republic.  Please pray for the CZ government to recognize this school as a legitimate learning center. My heart and the heart of so many of the teachers here is to reach the Czech people as well, and until the school is recognized, this won't happen. Right now the application and the curriculum is in the hands of the ministry of education, and they are looking it over and making decisions. Until they make a "yes" decision for the school, it severely limits Czech attendance. The school has only been around for 8 years, so it takes time for anything new to grow and develop. But the quicker it's accredited, the more people we'll be able to reach with the gospel.

The school has a revamped website --- www.cisprague.org. Czech it out!

One thing I could use your prayers for is my loan situation. I am currently in the process of applying for a scholarship from my alma mater that would pay off my loan debt. The trade off is that I will be on the mission field for four years (I'm not sure if this year will count). Please pray in regards to this. I'm not intimidated by four years on the field, and I think it would help to offer the school more stability (as well as myself. I'm not thrilled with the idea of bouncing between occupations every two years) and make it a more legitimate, well-rounded experience, as well as afford me the ability to invest more fully in the people around me. Of course, this is important to consider with you, prayer and financial supporters, because you are the means by which God makes this happen. The deadline for this application is March 1st.

Finally, a verse which was inspirational to me this week, and oh-so-important for remembering the Gospel message:

I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes . . . For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed--a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: "The righteous will live by faith."

The Gospel, that offers salvation to everyone, despite our flaws and failures; a salvation that is not dependent on our works. A God that is not dependent on what we do or don't do. A God who only asks -- will you believe that I love you this much? Will you believe that I love you this much? Will you believe that I love you this much? And the only real sin is not believing in that love. Not believing that you are good enough for that love. Believing you are too good for that love. Who knowingly rejects love? Only those who don't know that this is the core of God's message.

Blessings
Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment