Sunday, August 28, 2011

someone tell the czech gov't to get a move-on that visa

because there are moments that I don't think that I'll stay sane if I'm in VT.

Hurricane Irene is dumping rain at a steady pace all day, and despite our prayers, even some horizontal trees.  I'm listening to Sufjan (something I haven't done for a while) and taking in the poor-quality air of my old room at home so that I can have privacy and an internet connection.

So in lieu of a passport, I feel like I need to come up with creative ways of staying not-board. Last night I watched Tangled and thoroughly enjoyed it (I think the story-line is similar to a story that Jerry Root once told in class [?!] or that I heard in a sermon, but I'm not sure) and today I watched Avatar for the first time, and that felt like a time commitment.  Two-and-a-half hours for a movie is a lot for me, but I felt it was necessary because the movie was frequently referenced in culture theory.* Anyway, both good movies, both recommended, but I can't help but notice how good movies make me feel that our own lives are lacking a certain spark (not to mention Sufjan singing in the background something like, "It's a long life, better pinch yourself, put your face together . . .getalifegetalifegetalovegetalove").  But when I'm stuck in VT for the moment, and all the people that have been closest to me for the past 4 years are absent, trying to keep in touch with people through phone calls, emails, or skype doesn't really satisfy the desire to be present with people who know you.
And then enters that tricky philosophical question of, who really knows us anyway? So much for Junior year solving that question.

And then the realization that life requires an embrace of all sorts of experiences and moments, and not just of the adventurous or the ones that seem to give us quick, easy fulfillment. Because the endless hours spent watching movies, playing games, or whatever other entertainment we mindlessly take in is just a means of avoiding silence, doing the things you know you ought to, and ultimately avoids the question of meaning and pondering what really makes this worth it.

And maybe I wouldn't feel bored if I wasn't conditioned by Western culture. There's so much possibility outside of a screen, yet, most of our time is spent in front of one.



*It's like if the Matrix had been on--I would have felt obligated to watch that because I haven't seen it yet and it was referenced all the time in philosophy class.

1 comment:

  1. Love your last sentence. I've been thinking about that recently. Also love what you said about entertainment and avoiding silence. You are a wise woman ; ) I know what you mean about feeling like no one knows you. I dealt with that a lot when we first moved to Madison. It's hard feeling unconnected. Try to do things that you know are good for you- write letters, make things, bake, get out of your house, play your guitar. Just some ideas.

    ReplyDelete