Thursday, October 13, 2011

settlin' in

Teaching is a challenge.  I have this massive learning curve to jump in order to deal with 6th & 7th graders.  The main problem isn't culture shock. No, it's lesson planning in my own language.  I often think of my roommate Rachel from my last semester at college, and just how long she spent preparing lessons for 90 kids. 90. Highschoolers. Public school. No, all I have is 18. And they're dropping like flies as their parents leave for furlough or other reasons. 18 kids in a private school, divided between two classes.  Three forty-five minute blocks for each every week. Hours to prepare.

And now I understand why people go to school to teach for four years.

It really hasn't been too bad.  Needless to say, I'm learning a lot.

Also, it's hard to understand what a 7th grader can and can't understand.  I just graduated from college with a BA in Philosophy.  I like to sit and listen.  They don't. I like abstract concepts. They're still pretty concrete. They're all really fact-smart. They know their Bibles for the most part. They've corrected me.  I didn't know nearly anything that they know about the Bible at their age.

So. This is part of God giving me a heart for all kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment